[ardour-users] Re: [ardour-dev] terminology (range, interval, zone, region, segment)

Hermann Vosseler prg at ichthyostega.de
Tue Oct 4 16:28:25 PDT 2005

fons adriaensen wrote:
> Region, range, slice, section, part, segment, zone, ... any others to consider ?

to me, all of this seem to denote only one thing/region, i.e. something
connected. I think, region is the most generic concept, wheras range,
slice, section, segment are more specific:
range: interval, set of parameter values between bounds.
segment, slice: emphasize the fact of beeing divided.
part is more of a building block, part of a whole.
zone is very much connected with space, as something to be shown in a map.

What really is missing is a good name for a "set of regions".
Graphical tools often use "selection" to denote either a single region
or a collecion of multiple regions.

vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:
> But the range markers are confusing since they have no relation to range-mode. The range markers
> are used for CD toc generation and not for much else.

> So the range markers should really called CD markers... Maybe section markers or location
> markers.
I want to second this: section markers seems to be denoting the concept
more adequate.

just some thoughts,
Hermann