[ardour-users] fill range w/region = ?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Oct 3 06:29:19 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 05:48 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 10/3/05, Christophe Combelles <ccomb at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > BTW... when a region is selected in the track, shouldn't it be
> > selected in the region list as well?
>
> I think that it should be but I also note that it isn't.

unfortunately this is something that many users think should happen, but
is actually considerably more complex than they imagine. let us consider
just one simple scenario.

you copy a region by dragging. you know have two copies of the same
region. you select one of them. presumably, the single entry in the
region list now gets selected as well. you alter the region gain curve
(or some other attribute of the region) for the copy. now select it
again. now do some operation that takes the region selected in the
region list and pastes it into a track. do you get the one with the
modified attribute, or the original? at what point does an operation
cause a new region to come into existence in the region list? right now,
length operations will always do this, but there are other things you
can do to a region that do not.

thoughts welcome.

--p