[ardour-users] experimental video made scored with ardour

rob switzer rswitzer at 721.com
Tue Oct 11 19:11:59 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 21:38 -0400, Joseph Dell'Orfano wrote:
> Thank you for sharing this. I got this on both the Ardour and the
> Cinelerra lists. I was transfixed by this piece.

Glad you liked it.

> I have 2 questions about the film. First of all, did you compose the
> score first or did you create the visuals first?

The raw material of the score came first -- a guitar feedback/looping
improv time-shifted and layered using sooper looper, plus an earlier
improv with a network of cheap pedals and a kaos pad => Mackie VLZ =>
DAT then into the computer via Delta 1010 spdif.

The raw materials for the visuals came from a video improv done with a
video synthesis patch in pd and captured direct to a file via pdp-qt.

After the visuals were 70% complete, I started to put the soundtrack
together by combining elements from these improvs using ardour to
mix/match/fit.

I completed the visuals and the final soundtrack simultaneously, using
Cinelerra for the final assembly.

> Second, given that Cinelerra doesn't talk to Jack, did you do the
> recording and composing while watching the video on a different player?

The work was done on two machines -- one for audio, one for video.  I
*really* wish Cinelerra had jack support or some mechanism to sync to
external time code, but I'm not expecting it anytime soon.  I played the
music on one machine while eyeballing the video on the other to assess
rough fit/sync.

For final assembly/synch, I used time code displayed by Ardour and
Cinelerra to figure the length of each segment, then fine-tuned the
final fit using the nudge feature in Cinelerra.

> I guess I'm really asking how you synced up. Did you do the recording
> with PD and Ardour, then import it into Cinelerra to fine-tune the
> tracks from within Cinelerra?

That's pretty much it -- Ardour for the detail audio work, Cinelerra for
final audio/video assembly/sync.

> Again, thank you for letting us see your work!!

once again, glad you liked it!

--rob switzer

--
rob switzer <rswitzer at 721.com>