[ardour-users] [OT] JAMin guidance needed

Zachris Trolin zach-tro at dsv.su.se
Sat Nov 26 02:41:26 PST 2005

fre 2005-11-25 klockan 11:58 -0600 skrev Jan Depner:
> On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 08:26, Zachris Trolin wrote:
> > fre 2005-11-25 klockan 09:14 -0500 skrev Dave Phillips:
> > > Greetings:
> > >
> > >   I've been busy working on the tracks I wanted to balance for a CD
> > > collection of some of my material. Thanks to the advice I received on
> > > this list I'm happy to report that I "got the idea" about using JAMin
> > > for my specific needs and I'm now very happy with the results. My needs
> > > were quite simple (make all tracks equal in volume), and a few minutes
> > > figuring out JAMin's controls were all that was needed to start
> > > experimenting. Very cool, now I play my tracks one after the other with
> > > no need to adjust the playback volume.
> > >
> > >   Btw, my 800 MHz CPU was not powerful enough to run both Ardour and
> > > JAMin at the same time, so I simply saved my stereo mix from Ardour and
> > > ran the WAV file through JAMin, recording into ecasound. Worked beautifully.
> >
> > You could try the -i flag for Jamin, which will make it a little less
> > CPU intensive.
> >

>     I wouldn't use the -i flag.  The sound is not anywhere near as good
> as with the FFT.

My last mail was a bit unclear, what I meant was, use -i for listening
and then *don't* use -i when exporting in freewheeling mode. That way it
is possible to both use ardour and jamin (==> automation of scenes) on a
slow computer.

It helps me using jamin on an even slower machine than 800Mhz. Ofcource
the real solution is buying a faster computer, well well.