[ardour-users] Sox problems

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Nov 23 05:14:08 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 02:24 -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> So I am trying to convert a file from a .raw(Specificly the raw data
> from a SD2 file) to a .wav in sox.  I know the file is good because i
> can convert it with audacity fine, but because I have about... oh 1000
> of these to conver tI would rather not do it by hand, thus I am trying
> to write a script to do it, but I cant seem to get sox to convert the
> file correctly and was wondering if anyone could give me what they think
> should be the working commanline for it.  Right now it converts the
> file, but into nothing useful..

you might be better off using sndfile-convert. its not as flexible as
sox, but it is a more reliable parser of various sound file formats. do
you have the original SD2 files available?

> In Audacity the settings are a Signed 16-bit PCM, Big-Endian, 2 Channel
> Stereo, 0 offset, 100 % import, and 44100 samplerate.
>
> Now in sox I try all this, sox -t .sw -r 44100 -c 2 -x File Outputfile
>
> Unfortunatly nothing seems to work, I have tried as many variation I
> thought would work and quite a few that I thought wouldnt(And they
> didnt).  What obvious thing am I missing?  And yes the endianess should
> be switched(-x correct) due to these files coming off of a mac, but the
> conversion is happening on an AMD64 right?  I tried it both ways
> anyways, but just checking my logic.

endianess is not a function of the processor in this case. for example,
WAV files are *always* little endian, AIFF are *always* big endian. i
don't know the rule for SD2.

--p