[ardour-users] Ardour technical questions

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Wed Nov 16 15:14:11 PST 2005

On 11/16/05, . <intent at netpratique.fr> wrote:

> With 16 tracks reading and 16 tracks writting my 2 giga hz AMD processor
> reachs nearly 30% usage and with peaks to 40% (even 50% sometimes).
>
> Is it a fatality ? I would like to know if it is possible to reduce this
> amount by :
>
> *installing more RAM (currently 512 but my swap is hardly used and have usally
> some few megs of freeram, so i guess its ok ?)

Won't affect CPU utilization.

> *compilling with the new CPU optimisation flags (by how much will it
> improve ?)

Yes, absolutely.  Use the USE_SSE_EVERYWHERE=yes   and
BUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS=yes  options to scons to build.  Then run
ardour with the '-o' command line flag.  You should see a message on
the terminal showing that the optimizations are enabled.

> *using a blazingly fast RAID1 SCSI 10000 rpm system with a 64meg buffer ?
> (only a IDE for now)

Won't affect CPU, but will help disk throughput issues on *really*
high track counts.

jlc