[ardour-users] Audacity lin/log [was: Re: It is not loud enough]

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Tue Nov 8 11:04:24 PST 2005

On 27 October 2005 at 6:59, Mike Jewell <mj405 at oneupaudio.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 21:31 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > On 26 October 2005 at 15:37, Mike Jewell <mj405 at oneupaudio.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Have you used Audacity?  It lets you switch any track from linear to log
> > > (dB) at any time.  This is incredibly useful.  Neither display is good
> > > for all uses so you need both.  For instance, if you are trying to
> > > figure out what your noise floor is, record the loudest signal you'll
> > > see at 0dB.  Switch to dB scale and then you can see (for example) that
> > > -75 db noise floor plain as day.  (It even lets you set the max dB range
> > > to get just the resolution you need.)  It is one of my favorite features
> > > in Audacity.  When I first saw the track pop-up context menu in Ardour
> > > where you can select how to display the waveform (traditional or
> > > rectified) I was disappointed to not see "dB" in the list.  It would be
> > > a great addition.
> >
> > Yes, I use Audacity all the time.  I didn't know it had a linear/log
> > switch.  Where is that?  Yes, it sounds like a great thing.
> >

> Click the track title for a menu.  Pick "Waveform" or "Waveform (dB)" .

I don't seem to have that option in my version (1.2.2) of
Audacity.  When I put my mouse over the title I get "Drag the
label vertically to change the order of the tracks."  I've
searched around for some place that might give me the option to
pick as you suggest, but I haven't found anything.  Do I have a
new/old enough version? Any other ideas?

> In File > Preferences > Interface: "Minimum of dB mode display range".

I have that in my version of Audacity.

--
Kevin