[ardour-users] time-signatures (was Re: ardour-users Digest, Vol 22, Issue 12)

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 7 03:38:09 PST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 09:13, mArukqs wrote:
> >> I tried to change time signature too. I tried 16/16, 8/8, 4/8, etc., but
> >> it still plays as 4/4. So I need to change tempo to 240 if I want 8/8 at
> >> 120bpm :(
> >>

> >> Marukqs
> >
> > the metronome number applies to. Right know this is the beat-type of the
> > current timesignature.
> >
> > Gerard
>
> No. Currently intervals between clicks in 8/8 and 4/4 are the same. So it
> is wrong.
>
> One 8/8 bar and one 4/4 bar at 120 bpm should be equal in length.
> And now metronome click works this way:
> 4/4
> 120
> O---x---x---x---O---x---x---x
>
> 8/8
> 120
> O---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
>
> But at 8/8 it should work like this:
> 8/8
> 120
> O-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-O-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Not always. I was talking from a music-theory perspective. Bpm is only
meaningfull if the beat (the B) is defined ( like it is in traditional
notation)
You think it is always a quarter note, but this is simply not true.
In 6/8 it would normally be a dotted quarter.
Anyway, in ardour, if you want the click to be doubled,  you change the tempo,
not the time signature.
You have a point in that is not what most people expect.