[ardour-users] ardour-users Digest, Vol 22, Issue 12

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 7 02:09:10 PST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 06:41, mArukqs wrote:
> I have the same problem.
>
> I tried to change time signature too. I tried 16/16, 8/8, 4/8, etc., but
> it still plays as 4/4. So I need to change tempo to 240 if I want 8/8 at
> 120bpm :(
>
> Marukqs

Strictly speaking the "beat" is the 1/8 in an 4/8 measure, so the tempo
applies to the 1/8. The common use however (in popular music) is to see bpm
as quarters per minute. What really needs to be defined is the beat-type that
the metronome number applies to. Right know this is the beat-type of the
current timesignature.
More sensible solutions for x/8 bars are quarter-noter or dotted-quarter-noter
(6/8) this goes for all compound time-signatures.
To do this elegantly, it would be nice to show the metronome symbol for
traditional music notation in the bpm ruler.
x  = 120 or x .=90 etc.

cheers

Gerard