[ardour-users] OS Question

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 06:55:37 PST 2005

On 11/4/05, Peter Lutek <plutek at infinity.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> >Another optimization is to not mount the boot partition at boot time.
> >Leave it unmounted unless you are adding a kernel or editing grub.conf
> >for more safety:
> >

> thanks, mark! i always wondered why we were mounting /boot for normal
> usage. your suggestion is a good one.
>

> -p

Not my idea really. It's the way Gentoo works by default. I just
consider it good practice.

NOTE: Please remember to mount /boot before copying a new kernel
there. If you don't you're really putting it on the root partition and
it won't be seen at boot time when the system goes looking for
kernels. I've made that mistake more than a few times...

The 'nice' thing about this is that even if you do an rm -rf / the
machine still has a chance of booting. It's probably less important
today with all the great LiveCDs, but it can help.

- Mark