[ardour-users] Re: Effects and latency

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun May 15 16:01:19 PDT 2005

On 5/15/05, Arnold Krille <arnold.krille at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/15/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This would be easier (in my eyes) if one didn`t need to open an extra
> > > window for the send but had a small slider inside the
> > > plugin/sends-section. On the big mixers I work there is the effect
> > > send directly inside the chain of controls, not on an extra console /
> > > piece of hardware...
> > In Ardour's design we have the pain of opening a
> > sub-window but you get an unlimited number of  buses and they route to
> > anywhere.
> > It's a trade off, for sure, but for many I think a reasonable one.
>
> An idea that came to me while writing my first mail: use JackMix
> (http://roederberg.dyndns.org/~arnold/jackmix/) for this effects
> routing. There is no automation as of now but it could work better
> then having a dozen windows for the reverb of a dozen channels. Will
> try that one the next time I do work with ardour...
>
> Arnold

Sure, this will work fine. Use all the tools in the tool box to
accomplish the best work you can do.

Food for thought - how will you handle different mixes on different
songs? When you return to an old song after a few months will
everything return to the previous settings? This is the biggest
problem I've had with the overall concept of Alsa and many apps. It's
powerful but very hard to manage on a day to day basis. When you start
using things like Jack-Mix, Jack-Rack, etc., soft synths, etc.,
there's no consistent place to manage all of these apps settings so
that my music projects can continue. I'm terrible at taking notes and
keeping good records. I think that this is a pretty hard part of
managing all of this on a day to day basis.

That said, give it a go and see how you do. Maybe you can come up with
a good way to manage all of this. I'd be interested in hearing about
it when you do.

Cheers,
Mark