[ardour-users] Effects and latency

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat May 14 15:54:06 PDT 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 06:30:28AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> 5) stop being stupid and record all tracks dry and add the effects later.
>
> ...because this is the right way to do it. I think you'll find things
> work better if you mix everything dry and, in general, add in a global
> reverb at the end. You'll set up sends on all tracks needing reverb
> and then set levels on the sends to get your wet/dry mix.

Yeah... but also, realize that you can record dry and use hardware
monitoring, but still send the live signal into the reverb (or whatever)
send.

So you get no latency on the dry signal, but latency on the
effected signal. This can be fine if the effect is e.g. a reverb
and there's no dry signal in the reverb bus... the latency just
acts like a predelay and is probably not a problem.

This technique doesn't work for "inline" effects like distortions, eq,
chorus, etc.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com