[ardour-users] Linux vs. other stuff

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:23:24 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:09:10 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> On 31 March 2005 at 9:52, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm a Pro Tools user. It's terrible. Just as soon as it gets stable
> > some M$ update comes along that kills it. Add or delete a plugin, it
> > kills it. Edit too much MIDI data, I killed it. Switching an audio
> > drive on after starting PT. It kills it.
>
> How about on a Mac?

I wouldn't know actually. Never used one although I am considering the
purchase. OS X is Free BSD based so I'd be maybe 75% of the way there
with system administration. In the end I have the same problem I have
with the 002 though. It's 1394 based so if PT is not stable on the Mac
then the machine is of no value to me.

Possibly a DigiFace with the cardbus interface is a good solution but
I don't know of anyone specifically running that combo under Linux and
using Ardour. Are any of you guys out there usign that?

I'd want the DigiFace vs. MultiFace since I have an HDSP 9652 in my
desktop Ardour machine and would link the two with a bunch of ADAT
cables.

- Mark