[ardour-users] disk throughput problems with beta

Peter Lutek plutek at infinity.net
Wed Mar 30 15:02:15 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:37:35 -0700 (MST), James Rich
<james at universe.chowhouse.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Peter Lutek wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:39:02 -0500, Peter Lutek <plutek at infinity.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > also, do you have a suggestion of a filesystem which may be better
>> than
>> > ext3?
>>
>> reading some posted speed tests.... looks like reiser4 extent40 may be a
>> winner, but is it stable yet?
>> otherwise, perhaps XFS is best for now?
>>
>> anyone here with first-hand experience?
>
> I'm using XFS on 3 scsi disks in a software raid configuration.  XFS is
> fantastic.  The problems I have appear to be related to the CPU being to
> slow, not anything to do with disks.  I typically do 24 tracks at 48kHz.
> Once I start loading up tracks with plugins, things get delicate.

thanks, james! yes, i've read fantastic things about XFS from video folks,
too, so i think i'll see how it goes. i'm running a test right now which
looks very solid. i've re-enabled recording waveform display, but haven't
got to my previous crash-time yet. interesting, though:  loading up
sessions is no longer causing xruns.

we'll see.

-p