[ardour-users] disk throughput problems with beta

Peter Lutek plutek at infinity.net
Mon Mar 28 05:09:29 PST 2005

greetings!

i am using an acer 4002WLMi notebook with a 7200rpm drive for multitrack
audio recording, using jack and ardour. my distro is gentoo.

previously (with ardour beta19 and kernel 2.6.10-rc2-mm4), i had no
trouble writing 10 or 12 tracks of audio for extended periods of time.
since my recent upgrade to ardour beta28 and kernel 2.6.11-mm4, i cannot
even write 8 tacks for more than 25 minutes without getting an error
message from ardour about the disk system being unable to keep up.

unfortunately, i did not record hdparm -tT numbers previously, but i'm
currently at 1400 and 39 --- not great. trying to set -c1 or -u1 yield
"invalid argument" error messages. don't know if this is a hardware
limitation or something in the kernel. also wondering if ardour has become
more strict about disk throughput checking.

any clues? am i looking down the wrong avenue here?

thanks in advance!

-p