[ardour-users] Is Ardour Invented Yet?

Mike Jewell msjmsj49 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:14:37 PST 2005

2.8 GHz Pentium 4
Linux Fedora Core 1
Ardour 0.9beta28
Planet CCRMA Audio environment

Hi Ardourers,

Well, I just spent an afternoon trying to work on a couple of tracks I
exported from Audacity.

I learned alot.  But mostly I learned that (at least as far as I can see)
Ardour is a long way from being useable!  That said, I hope some of you
point out (in detail) how wrong I am!    8^)

My only other experience is using Vegas Audio LE a while ago and Audacity
quite a bit recently.

But, based on that, I just kept running into roadblocks, missing features
and bugs that make it a real challenge to keep going.  (I was using it
mainly for the education, not to get work done.)

I'm hoping some or most of these are just because I don't know how to run
it:

Here gos:

1) Is there a simple way to position the edit and playhead cursors without
dragging them from whereever they are?  I tried every combination of Alt,
Shift, Ctrl with mouse clicks, etc.

2) Is there an Undo history window so you don't have to go one step at a
time and be able to see where you're going?

3) When dragging a region (terminology?) vertically from one track to
another, can you lock it's horizontal position?

4) Is there a way to go back to the last zoom level?  This one drove me
crazy.

5) Is there an easy way to switch from latched soloing to unlatched?
Audacity uses Shift-Mouse1 to solo just that track and just Mouse1 to add or
subtract from the soloed tracks.  Very intuitive and fast.

6) I noticed the red Play Head line (and triangle) sometimes dissappears.
Clicking "Play" makes it show up ok and start playing.  Just a bug, I guess.

7) Ardour crashed three or four times during the afternoon.

8) At the end, I tried to export the track I'd been working on as a wav
file.  Never would let me do it.  Error messages, etc.  (Sorry I can't
remember what they were.)

9) Several handy editing tools I use alot in Audacity seem to be missing.
Like "silence a selection".  Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

10)Zooming seems very strange.  It would often zoom differently than I would
have expected.  And I was constantly getting burned by being in the wrong
mode:  Zoom, Range, Object, etc.  Maybe it's because I'm so used to
Audacity's U/I but Ardour just seems a lot less intuitive with more mouse
clicks, etc.

Sorry for the long, somewhat critical, message.  Please don't get me wrong.
I'm absolutely blown away by this amazing piece of software that the
talented developers have given to the world and I also realize that it isn't
even finished yet.  I'm mostly just giving feedback (It's a gift, you
know...  8^)   )   and hoping some of you might have some suggestions and
answers to make it all make a bit more sense.  I really, really, want to be
able to use it.

But for the recording/editing I do, Audacity seems way more intuitive.  I
just wish it had the great cross-fade capability and JACKosity of Ardour.
I don't want much...  Just the perfect tool.    8^)

One more:
The Ardour web site says something to the effect that "Ardour is NOT an
audio editor".  What the heck does that mean?

Hoping for enlightenment,

utah
Mike Jewell