[ardour-users] Problems running Ardour on OS X

eduard eduard.aylon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 04:12:27 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have compiled Ardour-0.9beta28 on Mac OS X as follows:
  ./configure --disable-nls --disable-ksi && make && sudo make install

When I try to runnit on X windows it gives me the following errors:

<snip>
Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_type_create(): type `GtkScrolledWindow' already
exists.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1057 (gtk_widget_new):
assertion `gtk_type_is_a (widget_type, GTK_TYPE_WIDGET)' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkscrolledwindow.c: line 428
(gtk_scrolled_window_set_policy): assertion `scrolled_window != NULL'
failed.
cannot read request from client (0/2104/Unknown error: 0)
could not handle external client request
Bus error
<snip>

If I search for libgtk on my computer, I get the following:
/sw/lib/libgtk-1.2.0.9.1.dylib
/sw/lib/libgtk-1.2.0.dylib
/sw/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.400.4.dylib
/sw/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib
/sw/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib
/sw/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.la
/sw/lib/libgtk.a
/sw/lib/libgtk.dylib
/sw/lib/libgtk.la

I have tried to start jack separately, by calling /usr/local/bin/jackd
-d coreaudo
and then run ardour. The messages are the same:

from ardour:
<snip>
Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_type_create(): type `GtkScrolledWindow' already
exists.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1057 (gtk_widget_new):
assertion `gtk_type_is_a (widget_type, GTK_TYPE_WIDGET)' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkscrolledwindow.c: line 428
(gtk_scrolled_window_set_policy): assertion `scrolled_window != NULL'
failed.
Bus error
<snip>

and then jack outputs the following (only after  ardour fails to start):
<snip>
cannot read request from client (0/2104/Unknown error: 0)
could not handle external client request
<snip>

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is there a way to solve it?

Thanks a lot,

eduard

PS: thanks Jesse for your previous tip on --disable-ksi. Thanks to
Matthew for pointing me to his tutorial, although I feel like not
installing gentoo for OS X yet. I use fink, and I hope the system is
capable of running ardour.