[ardour-users] Re: Is there an Ardour for Windows

rossen rpa at mochiron.org
Tue Mar 15 04:52:04 PST 2005

Pierre Muller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would just like to find out it there is an Ardour for
> windows and if so, where can I download it?
>
> Regards
>
> Pierre M
> http://www.webmail.co.za the South African FREE email service

from the ardour manual:
=============

Why doesn't Ardour run on Windows ?

There have been several discussions about porting Ardour to Windows. The
obstacles are relatively few in number, but rather substantial in
significance. Ardour was written to run on operating systems that
properly and efficiently support a portable operating system standard
called POSIX (endorsed by the US government and many other large
organizations). Linux and OS X both do a good job of supporting POSIX,
but Windows does not. In particular, the efficiency with which Windows
handles certain aspects of the POSIX standard makes it very hard to port
Ardour to that platform. It is not impossible that we will port Ardour
at some point, but Windows continues to be a rather unsuitable platform
for pro-audio work despite the improvements that have been made to it in
the last few years.