[ardour-users] New to the list with some questions.

George Jones IV - Logic7 logic7 at cox.net
Sat Jun 11 01:00:12 PDT 2005

Thanks for the reply.

"the main issue with the SB128's is whether they can be used for symmetrical
duplex i/o (i.e. the same bit width for input and output).
many early SB's could not do this. if not, it will be usable, but not as
useful, even though i know you insist you never record any acoustic signals.
you would need to use the -P flag with JACK so that the card is used for
playback only (if it cannot do symmetrical duplex)."

It can do full duplex without a hitch. The AWE32 and 64 both had the issue
you're speaking of. They drop to 8 bit playback while recording at 16 bit.
Sounded pretty nasty.

"a P3-550 is a pretty underpowered machine for s/w synthesis these days.
i have a dual PII-400, and its useful for audio recording, mixing etc., but
i can't run more than 1 or 2 powerhouse synths at a time."

Interesting. I was using this machine as my primary recording machine for
some time with Cubase VST 5.1R2, Rebirth, FM7, Pro 52, Reaktor 3, Absynth,
and Attack. Never had any real issues with multiple synths unless it was
something wild I created with Reaktor. My current DAW machine is only a
P3-700 and it runs nicely.

"Rewire does not exist on Linux - it is a proprietary system. We have
something that is better in almost every way - JACK - which does the same
thing. You cannot use Reason or Rebirth with Ardour - these are Windows
programs and will not run on Linux even under Wine. "

I got Rebirth to run partially with Wine years ago (2001 in fact). It was
already installed on a Win98SE partition on my old dual-boot box (P3-450).
It would launch, but was pretty unuseable. It might be better now. I may try
it one day and let you know the results.

"you will not. you cannot use any plugins that use PACE iLock copy
protection on linux, which rules out all waves plugins unless you plan to
use cracked copies. i don't know for sure what TC is using. you should not
plan on using ardour if your basic plan is to continue using a set of
windows-based tools. this just isn't going to work. we have done, and will
continue to do some work on extending the possibilities in this area, but we
have some awesome tools available on linux, and in the end there just isn't
enough time in the day to deal with all the hacks required to run win32
software on linux."

As I stated later in my post, I'm not opposed to trying to make some music
using Linux tools. I try to keep up with Linux midi/audio tools to some
degree but apparently not enough since Rosegarden completely slipped by me.
I'll check it all out and hopefully I can squeeze some good results out of
it.