[ardour-users] network and audio

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jun 9 11:17:16 PDT 2005

 [ topic altered because its really nothing to do with apt/DVD's etc ]

>system.  There is really no reason to network an audio computer.  You'd
>never think about putting a tape machine on the internet.

on the contrary, this is precisely what many field recording people
(e.g. radio reporters) would love. they are tired of using multiple
devices to record, edit and upload radio/audio pieces from remote
sites back to some head office. putting a tape machine on the internet
is *exactly* what they want.

>The flipside is that it does complicate updates.  This is one of the reasons
>that for now, I am abandoning Ardour and Linux, which require way too
>frequent touches and updates to keep them working.  I want to get the system
>up and running ONCE and get on to making recordings for a couple of years at
>a time, without the first question for me when I reach out for support being
>"are you running the latest tarball?".  This is why I am back to Win98SE and
>an older, but very stable version of Nuendo.  I mean, the latest audio

its a fair point, almost. i don't think raising this issue with a
pre-1.0 release of any software is entirely fair however.

--p