[ardour-users] shall we wait for VST or go with libfst?

Hector Centeno h.centeno at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 9 07:04:32 PDT 2005

Geoff Beasley wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 09:25 -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:
>

>>Hi Geoff,
>>
>>Thanks a lot for your help setting-up jack_fst. I got it to work but now
>>after some time jack_fst crashes with these errors:
>>err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 10bf for 36 bytes
>>err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 10bf for 36 bytes
>>err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 10bf for 36 bytes
>>err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 10bf for 36 bytes
>>err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 10bf for 36 bytes
>>err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 10bf for 28 bytes
>>err:clipping:CLIPPING_UpdateGCRegion hVisRgn is zero. Please report this.
>>
>> From what I found in google this error is related to wine. Do you know
>>any way for fixing it?
>>
>>cheers,
>>

>Hector,
>Hmm.. never ever seen these errors! How long before you see the error?
>Does it happen with all plugins or just some? Do you get these every
>time you try to run jack_fst ? Does Ardour show any errors in some way
>as well when you try to run a VST ? Does it happen after loading or
>before ? How much ram do you have ? What distro are you using ?
>
>Not sure if there is anything I can suggest....you might have some dirty
>ram. Perhaps set the machine running o'night with Memtest86 to be sure
>it's not a hardware issue.
>
>Also, maybe Mark could enlighten you better than I, but let's see the
>answers to my questions and talk some more,
>
>Best,
>
>Geoff.

Geoff,

This is happening with the GRM Tools plugins. I haven't tried with other
plugins because these are the only ones I'm interested in using, but
I'll give it a shot. The errors happen always after some time of moving
around the sliders in the plugin's GUI. If I don't touch any slider it
takes longer to crash (but it does and with the same kind of errors). I
have 1 gig of ram (PIV2.8HT, Fedora Core 3 with Planet CCRMA kernel but
I'm not using a smp one) and before using Linux I was using Windows XP
in the same computer and with audio applications (including these VSTs)
without any problem. I tried using the VSTs from within ardour and they
work fine for some time and then the GUI locks and I start getting a
gray box when I reopen the plugin (but the effect is still running and
processing audio).

thanks!

hector