[ardour-users] Installation problems

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jul 25 06:42:49 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 15:04 -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Steve Robinson said the following at 2005-07-24 09:47 :
>
> > I have gone through and installed all the components
> > that are listed in the BUILD document that came with
> > Ardour. I also reinstalled GNU sed.
> >

> Actually, this seems like a good reason to ask if anyone is planning to
> produce an autopackage for Ardour when it gets out of beta.
> (www.autopackage.org).
>
> If I understand it right (maybe I don't?) a properly autopackaged
> application ensures that users won't have to go through dependency hell.

We do not. The majority of Ardour users use packaged versions built to
work correctly with their distributions. If there is distro using
autopackage (I don't know of one), then someone (hopefully) will build
one using it. But for Fedora users, rpm is the package format; for
Debian, dpkg, for OS X, .dmg, and so on and so forth.

People building from source need many more skills and much more
knowledge about their systems than autopackage can hope to provide.

--p