[ardour-users] My stupid clock goof

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun Jul 24 15:23:14 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 04:51:29PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> I'm assuming I'll also have to convert (but not resample) the audio
> files.  Sox okay for this?

Crap, it doesn't seem to do the job. ANy more ideas?
After settling on a rate of 10240 which seems to give me the
correct pitch, I batch-converted the files like so, in the
sounds/ directory:

mkdir fixed
find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*wav" -exec sox -r 10240 {} -r 44100 fixed/{} \;
mkdir orig
mv *wav orig
mv fixed/*wav .

This seemed to go OK, except that sox complains for each file:
sox: wave header missing FmtExt chunk

(... which means what exactly?)

Anyway, the resulting files play just fine via sox, but ardour
doesn't like them - they load without complaint but they sound like
white noise.

Note also that sndfile-info seems to report mostly similar information
to the originals, and I'm not clear on what the differences mean:

pw at kermit sounds $ sndfile-info orig/hand\ drum\ L-1.wav

Version : libsndfile-1.0.11

File : orig/hand drum L-1.wav
Length : 7494332
RIFF : 7494324
WAVE
bext : 648
fmt  : 16
  Format        : 0x3 => WAVE_FORMAT_IEEE_FLOAT
  Channels      : 1
  Sample Rate   : 44100
  Block Align   : 4
  Bit Width     : 32
  Bytes/sec     : 176400
data : 7493632
End

Sample Rate : 44100
Frames      : 1873408
Channels    : 1
Format      : 0x00010006
Sections    : 1
Seekable    : TRUE
Duration    : 00:00:42.480
Signal Max  : 0.807716 (-1.85 dB)

pw at kermit sounds $ sndfile-info hand\ drum\ L-1.wav

Version : libsndfile-1.0.11

File : hand drum L-1.wav
Length : 32272454
RIFF : 32272446
WAVE
fmt  : 18
  Format        : 0x3 => WAVE_FORMAT_IEEE_FLOAT
  Channels      : 1
  Sample Rate   : 44100
  Block Align   : 4
  Bit Width     : 32