[ardour-users] ICE1712 Problems

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Jul 18 13:07:18 PDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
Mike Fisher <mrfisher_1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Athlon XP +2400 2.0 GHz
> 1 gig Ram
> MSI K7N2 motherboard

Should be enough horsepower.  I used to run my Delta66 at 96000 on
much slower.

> Gentoo Linux 2.4.29 Low Latency Patched Kernel
> Alsa Driver = 1.0.9b
> Jack Driver = 0.100.1

This seems all very up-to-date, did you compile yourself or did you
get prebuilt packages?  Are you sure that you've got low latency
enabled?  'cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency' should return a 1.

> Well I can't help but feel like I wasted my money by
> purchasing an M-Audio Delta 66.  This is only because
> I can't get Jack to run above 48000.  Even with jack
> running at 44.1 or 48KHz I still get way too many
> audio drop outs.

Something's not right, and it is not likely to be the Delta66.
That's one of the best-supported cards under Linux.

> Also it says on the
> jactit.sf.net site not run the server with default as
> the audio device, but for me this is the only one that
> will work. hw:0 and hw:0,0 both return a message that
> reads:
         ( ... snip ... )
> It works when I use default for the device.

I have been using the default for the device with no
problems at all.  That's probably not the issue for you.

I just went and started up jack to find my parameters.
I have a Delta1010, which is based on the same chipset and
uses the same drivers.  The command qjackctl (a great app
that puts a GUI on running Jack) gives to start jack on
my 2.4.26 low latency kernel is:

/usr/bin/jackstart -R -p256 -dalsa -dice1712 -r44100 -p256 -n2 -m -H -M

Jackstart is a program that helps Jack get realtime capabilities under
2.4 kernels.  I believe it's the preferred way of starting Jack in that
environment.

> I read some stuff
> about Interrupt sharing and PCI timming or something
> like that, but I'm an audio engineer, not a computer
> wiz.  I know the higher the IRQ Priority the better
> (from the Planet CCRMA site) but it doesn't say how to
> change those!

IRQs are often settable in the BIOS of your motherboard, but
that's not always available.  Sometimes just moving cards to
different slots will do it.

Please note there is not a "higher is better" rule for IRQs!
IRQ 9 is actually the preferred setting for an audio card.

One other thing...  have you been able to get any sound out of the
card with a program like alsaplayer?

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com
\Without deviation from the norm, "progress" is not possible. - FZappa