[ardour-users] ICE1712 Problems

Mike Fisher mrfisher_1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 12:33:56 PDT 2005

Athlon XP +2400 2.0 GHz
1 gig Ram
MSI K7N2 motherboard
Gentoo Linux 2.4.29 Low Latency Patched Kernel
Alsa Driver = 1.0.9b
Jack Driver = 0.100.1

Well I can't help but feel like I wasted my money by
purchasing an M-Audio Delta 66.  This is only because
I can't get Jack to run above 48000.  Even with jack
running at 44.1 or 48KHz I still get way too many
audio drop outs.  I know my computer can handle it
because I've done lots and lots of heavy mixing and
processing using Pro Tools.  Also it says on the
jactit.sf.net site not run the server with default as
the audio device, but for me this is the only one that
will work. hw:0 and hw:0,0 both return a message that
reads:

The following was when I was logged in as root
(figured I should get that first before regular users)

---
14:11:41.927 /usr/local/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -r44100
-p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:0 -Phw:0 -i4 -o4 -zs
14:11:41.938 JACK was started with PID=3524 (0xdc4).
cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file
descriptor)
jackd: wait for startup process exit failed
jackd 0.100.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to
redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for
details
14:11:41.961 Could not connect to JACK server as
client.
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|4|4|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer
= 2 periods
ALSA: cannot set channel count to 4 for capture
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns
---

It works when I use default for the device.
When I try default at 88200 or 96000 I get literally
hundreds of xruns without even running audio sofware.
Just starting the server gives me all those xruns.
It's kind of funny because I actually had this thing
running better using my onboard sound card than with
the Delta 66, which has now been disabled in the BIOS.

Is there any thing I can do or should I return this
card and go back to Pro Tools?  I read some stuff
about Interrupt sharing and PCI timming or something
like that, but I'm an audio engineer, not a computer
wiz.  I know the higher the IRQ Priority the better
(from the Planet CCRMA site) but it doesn't say how to
change those!

Sorry for being so uptight, but I have projects for
other people I am doing, not just me.  And all I have
encountered so far after my complete switch from Pro
Tools is problems, which in turn is putting me way
behind on the Mixes and Recordings I need to get done.

Any help would be good.

And by the way, I've been trying for at least a total
of 24 hours trying to get this thing running right.
The mailing list was my last resort.

Thanks

Mike Fisher