[ardour-users] Ardour was not fast enough

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 22:04:58 PDT 2005

On 7/17/05, Devin Venable <dvenable at valornet.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 23:18, Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>
> > uname -a
> Linux aldous 2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma #1 Sat Apr 17 21:19:40 PDT 2004
> i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> > cat /proc/asound
> asound is a directory.  You mean /proc/asound/cards?
> 0 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1370 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
>                      Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1370 at 0xd800, irq 17
> or /proc/asound/version?
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4.
> Compiled on Apr 18 2004 for kernel 2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma with
> versioned symbols.

Sorry - I meant version.

> > lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 741/741GX/M741
> Host (rev 03)
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]: Unknown device
> 0003

OK, so I think you're really in a pickle here. You're using a kernel
that is over 15 months old with a pretty new chipset from SiS.
Probably support for the chipset itself wasn't that great 15 months
ago. My son got a machine like this for Christmas. $199 at Frys. I had
to go to at least FC2 before it performed very well and it still
hasn't been all that great. (But it does work and he's not doing
Ardour!)

My suspicion is that the kernel is too old and certainly Alsa, at
Version 1,04, is very, very old. I would strongly consider doing a
rebuild of this machine with a newer revision of FC, either FC3 or FC4
or any other more recent release that you would be comfortable with.

You should not have to use anything over 512/2 or 256/4 with a machine
that's well supported by the distro on it. I do not think another hard
drive would fix this at all.

Good luck,
Mark