[ardour-users] Ardour can't connect to JACK

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 13:52:48 PDT 2005

On 7/15/05, akarl <fusionfive at comhem.se> wrote:
> Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
> > for Fedora 4 you can have a look to the ccrma packages:
> >
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
> >
> > There you will find a lot of manuals running
> > ardour and jack.
>
> The Fedora 4 rpm:s are not finished yet. jackd gives the following output:
>
> $ jackd -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100
> jackd 0.99.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory)
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
> jack_create_thread: error -1 switching current thread to rt for
> inheritance: Unknown error 4294967295
> cannot start watchdog thread
> cannot load driver module alsa
>
> Any clues? Is jackd run by Ardour at startup or do I have to run it
> before I start Ardour?
>
> -- August

Hi,
   You run jackd before running Ardour.

   The message about not being able to lock down memory is most likely
caused by the -R option in the Jack invocation. To test try

jackd -d alsa -d hw

and then run Ardour. Does it work? If it does then you have something
wrong with your setup that gives you realtime access as a user. I've
lot track how this is done on FC4 as my FC4 upgrade hosed up the whole
machine.

Hope this helps,
Mark