[ardour-users] setting inserts in stereo

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jul 15 10:47:39 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 15:54 +0100, Frank smith wrote:
> Hi All
> If I have a vocal on track 1
> and add the Gverb I get two tracks back l+r but where do they come back on?

by definition, an insert is always inline. see
http://ardour.org/manual/intro:concepts (the secion on Redirects toward
the end).

> I would usually set up one reverb on a send and bring the stereo reverb
> back into my desk on 2 channels
> so I can control it on faders at mix down
> When I tried to edit the individual L+R back (ie L to trk 15 and R to
> trk 16 ) I couldn't get any sound back into the desk.

you are talking about something more like a send. the outputs of gverb
come back into the track you put gverb in (because you placed it as an
insert). consequently, the track ends up with 2 outputs, and the L+R
signals from gverb are on each output.

if you want to set up a real send, create a new bus, add gverb to the
bus. then add a send to the vocal track, route it to the bus inputs, and
then configure the bus outs to go wherever you want.

--p