[ardour-users] Newbie defeated by OSS!

Don Fredricks ardour at handsfull.net
Thu Jul 14 07:32:48 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Hartley" <jh at brainiac.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: [ardour-users] Newbie defeated by OSS!

> Count me among the confused as to why Nate thinks that the Audiophile
> needed different drivers.

Probably because that's the official line from M-Audio:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=88cbf0e551ad3db4e2bcc581a171166f

(quote)

Linux drivers for Delta- and Revolution Series

Q: Is there a Linux driver for Delta- and Revolution Series cards?

A: M-Audio uses a 3rd Party Vendor for Unix support. 4Front Technologies develops and supports UNIX drivers for the Revolution and Delta Series of Products. The software is available for free evaluation and non-profit use but 4Front charges a fee for technical support and commercial use. They can be found at the following web address:

http://www.opensound.com

(end quote)

I believed this official line for many months. It kept me away from Linux audio, until the joyous day when I stumbled upon PlanetCCRMA and ALSA.

Don