[ardour-users] Newbie defeated by OSS!

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Jul 14 07:16:56 PDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:40:06 -0600
Steve D <groups at xscd.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:20:43AM -0600, Nate Monroe wrote:
> >
> > As ALSA does not provide a driver for the Audiophile 192, I purchased
> > the 4Front Technologies license for the professional OSS device
> > drivers. [...]
>

> ALSA *does* support the ice1724 chipset in your soundcard:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?module=ice1724

Count me among the confused as to why Nate thinks that the Audiophile
needed different drivers.  I've got an Audiophile in my son's machine,
which runs Fedora/Planet CCRMA, and it works flawlessly without any
3rd party drivers.  I've also got a Delta 1010 in my system, same
distro, same success.

Nate, here's what I would do:
1) Get an immediate refund from 4Front Technologies
2) Uninstall their drivers (*)
3) Configure ALSA to handle the Audiophile as described in the link
   above.
4) Run qjackctl, start jack, run ardour, experience joy.

Ardour doesn't deal with OSS at all; it's reliant on JACK, which in turn
is reliant on ALSA.  OSS doesn't enter into the picture in terms of what
you're trying to do.

(*) I don't know what's required at this step, I really hope it's not
a reinstallation of SuSE.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com