[ardour-users] Capturing audio with 2 delta1010lt's (chapter 2)

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Jan 24 11:17:14 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 11:51, derek holzer wrote:
> You'll probably get more feedback from the various lists, but the
> problme is definitiely with the sync. What usually happens when you use
> two different soundcards is that they gradually drift out of sync with
> each other, causing a crash. The keyword to search the ALSA list for is
> "el cheapo", as in "the el cheapo myth", whereby several low cost
> soundcards can be theoretically synced together to make a multichannel
> DAW. The only successful implementation I have heard of for this is to
> physically connect the crystal driving one of the soundcards to all of
> the others, which slaves them all to the main chip. I haven't heard of
> using spdif for this, although nothing screams out at me that it
> wouldn't be possible.

    It was my understanding that you were supposed to be able to sync
the 1010, 1010LT, DSP 2000 C-Port and some of the other implementations
of the envy24 chipset cards.  The DSP-2000 is synced using S/PDIF (hook
the S/PDIF from one to the other and set one as master clock - according
to the manual).  I'm not sure what they use with the 1010s.  This is
definitely not in the el-cheapo sound card class even though the 1010LT
is quite a bit cheaper than the 1010.

Jan