[ardour-users] Capturing audio with 2 delta1010lt's (chapter 2)

audio lathe audiolathe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 00:16:14 PST 2005

First of all Clemens/Paul thanks for responding so to my previous dual
ice1712 (delta1010lt) question, it put me on the right track. I
apologise for being such a noobie but getting my head around all this
asoundrc stuff has been keeping me awake at night (heh :-).

I found a .asoundrc file for running 2 delta1010lt cards and the 16
channels appear to be using the jack plugin ok (incidentally Paul
there was no info in alsa .asound config section on the alsa homepage
that refered to a ctl section for a jack plugin) and all 16 channels
appear in ardour :-) with levels etc working ready for recording. Jack
tells me the rate is 48khz and it is using a 1Mg ramdisk.

>From this point I can do two things

1) If I leave the rate at 48khz (I'm trying to record at 44.1Khz) jack
runs, I set ardour to record of all 16 channels and shortly after
arodur crashes complaining about disk streams.
[ERROR]: Session: error for Audio 1 at frame 263168 (-1)
[ERROR]: Audio 1: disk stream error at frame 263168 (-1)

2) I run envy24control for both the cards, it allows me to sync one
card off the other using the word clock or sp/diff, however when I do
that jack crashes with the following errors (it dosen't't matter
whether I set the rate from the command line)

jackd -v -R -d alsa -d jack --hwmon -r 44100 || date
getting driver descriptor from /usr/local/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/local/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/local/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0x8055868 fd = -1
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... jack|jack|1024|2|44100|0|0|hwmon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
new buffer size 1024
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_1, offset = 4096
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_2, offset = 8192
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_3, offset = 12288
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_4, offset = 16384
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_5, offset = 20480
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_6, offset = 24576
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_7, offset = 28672
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_8, offset = 32768
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_9, offset = 36864
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_10, offset = 40960
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_11, offset = 45056
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_12, offset = 49152
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_13, offset = 53248
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_14, offset = 57344
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_15, offset = 61440
registered port alsa_pcm:capture_16, offset = 65536
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_1, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_2, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_3, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_4, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_5, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_6, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_7, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_8, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_9, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_10, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_11, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_12, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_13, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_14, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_15, offset = 0
registered port alsa_pcm:playback_16, offset = 0
++ jack_rechain_graph():
client alsa_pcm: internal client, execution_order=0.
-- jack_rechain_graph()
3463 waiting for signals
jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
Aborted

Do I need to put a sync section in .asoundrc so that it will work? I
trawled the net to find answers and some people refered to sp/dif to
sync the two cards as opposed to using wordclock but I can't seem to
find if anyone has actually succeeded in doing it. If I'm supposed to
have a .asoundrc entry to sync the two cards can anyone give me an
example or hand me the cluestick.

I don't use sp/dif for input, my setup uses two 12 channel mixing
desks as pre-amps for the cards to record from various microphones
into each of the 8 analogue inputs on the delta1010lts.

Is it even possible to capture from both cards simultanously, I have
been using a single card configuration for a while now while
perfecting our songs. I've tried really hard to find the answers
myself but we have a recording session starting off tomorrow and I'm
running out of time to get it working (hence my pathetic desparation),
if anyone can help it would be great. Thanks in advance