[ardour-users] Ardour zombifies when idling (after playback with freeverb plugin)

Neil Klepeis nklepeis at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 16:48:09 PST 2005

Has anyone else had a problem with using freeverb and having ardour
zombify _after_ playback has stopped?   Could this be an ardour-specific
problem?  If so, I'll submit an issue report.

Some details:

I have latest ardour-0.9beta24 compiled from scratch on a
FC1/planetCCRMA system and latest LADSPA/CMT plugins.  [compiled with
--enable-vst, but called with "ardour -V" since ardour crashes when
trying to load VST plugins...a different issue]

I have only a single track of audio with a mono-to-stereo plugin
followed by freeverb (2in/2out).  The playback is fine all the way
through the 2-3 min piece.

But, approximately 10-20 seconds _after_ playback is stopped at any
point in the track, hundreds of xruns occur and ardour is zombified from
jackd -- shutting down ardour and locking the gui.  Ardour is idle when
the crash occurs.  I watch the DSP % rise steadily before zombification
at around 80-90%.  The crash only occurs _after_ a playback event has ended.

Using the TAP reverb plugin instead of freeverb is OK.  This isn't a
denormal problem, is it?  I haven't seen anything on any of the lists
about CMT freeverb having problems in general.    It's funny that the
problem occurs when ardour is just sitting there doing nothing.   Also:
I can use freeverb in Muse/Rosegarden etc. and it seems OK.

--Neil