[ardour-users] Invalid filename

Len lenb_99 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 05:12:43 PST 2005

I've been using Ardour for a while, but recently (since upgrading) I get the following error when
creating a new session that I did not get before:

[ERROR]: FileSource: could not open
"/home/len/ddrive/Ardour/test5/sounds/Audio 1-1?L.wav":
(Invalid argument)
[ERROR]: Audio 1:0 new capture file not initialized correctly
[ERROR]: FileSource: could not open
"/home/len/ddrive/Ardour/test5/sounds/Audio 1-1?R.wav":
(Invalid argument)
[ERROR]: Audio 1:1 new capture file not initialized correctly

I have determined that the error is caused by a mounted DOS (vfat) filesystem (ddrive directory).
Apparently, the default audio filename (for a new session/region?) is 'Audio 1-1?L.wav' or
'Audio1-1?R.wav', and that seems to be an invalid filename for that type of filesystem?  If I
create a session on my linux ext3 partition (say, under '/home/len/'), I don't get the error.
This gives me a workaround, but there is a lot more free space on the other (vfat) filesystem ;)

I've looked for a config file in the hopes of changing the default filename (without the question
mark in the name), but I can't find anything with that option.  None of the .rc files (either in
my .ardour directory or under /etc/ardour ) seem to have anything related.  Is there any way to
change the default?

Thanks,
Len