[ardour-users] better cpu for ardour athlon 64 or P4??

Allan Klinbail allan_k at dodo.com.au
Thu Jan 6 11:37:30 PST 2005

Hi All

I'm looking at upgrading my current PC and looking for help with the
best CPU.  I'm only considering this as I am on a rental plan for my PC
and able to upgrade, it is 2 years old, a P4 2.4 GHz with the old 400
MHz FSB and 500MB of 266MHz RAM.

My budget limits me to a single CPU machine, and the CPU's in question
are an Athlon64 3400+ or a Pentium 4 3.4 Prescott or Northwood. The
upgrade doesn't seem extremely substantial so if it is better to wait,
let me know.

The system would have 1Gb of DDR 400MHz) (PC-3200) Ram (dual channel if
supported by the CPU as I believe the Athlon64 only supports one
channel) and a SATA system drive and an ATAPI drive for recording
projects.

I have read many reviews, opinions and tests. I was almost convinced of
buying a Northwood chip, especially due to RAM access issues and
floating point comparisons. All the tests I could see were done on 32
bit Win platform, so I wasn't completely convinced. While I couldn't
find anything in this mailing list that suggest which is better, the
cubase sx site was much in favour of the athlon64.

Can anyone with any of these recent chips please provide some feedback
as to performance with an idea of what the max number of plugins and
channels is with a jack period of 256 or preferably 128. (I like to run
low latency with hardware controllers).Particulalry interested in
hearing from people using optimised Gentoo systems. For Athlon users I
am interested if you are on any 64 bit platform.

Any advice is much appreciated or feedback is much appreciated

cheers

Allan Klinbail

--
Allan Klinbail <allan_k at dodo.com.au>