Silent pc (Re: [ardour-users] Session export ?

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Thu Feb 24 16:44:21 PST 2005

Matthew Sewell <matthewsewell at ojai.net> writes:
> I am using a 2.4 kernel now but will be upgrading to the 2.6.5 kernel
> (FC3) in the near future.  I know that reiser 4.0 is made to work
> specifically with the 2.6 kernel.  I guess I need to do some MORE
> homework.

The FC3 updates are at 2.6.10 right now (2.6.9 on the ISO image).
That's a good kernel from a realtime latency perspective.

We have no recent data on filesystems for audio since Mark Knecht did
his study several years ago.  As he said, that's out of date now.

People had latency problems with ext3 back in the 2.4.20 timeframe,
but several kernel developers told me recently that it looks clean
from that perspective now.

Someone needs to do another big test looking at both CPU latency and
throughput.  That's a lot of work.  So, all we can do right now is
exchange anecdotes and speculate.  ;-)

The good news is: most things actually work better nowdays.
--
  joq