Silent pc (Re: [ardour-users] Session export ?

Matthew Sewell matthewsewell at ojai.net
Thu Feb 24 14:51:50 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 14:28, gerard van dongen wrote:

> I would go for ext3, I just got a new disk and I am trying out XFS.
> But I am only paraphrasing what I hear on #ardour on IRC
> The impression I got is that reiserFS is optimized for lots of small
> files, and this somehow interferes with audio work.
> Mainly I think the problems occur when disks are getting full.

OK.  I will change the file system back to ext3 then and watch for
fragmentation.  Is there a good tool for that?  I've never defragged
ext3 before and I was under the impression that it wasn't really an
issue.

> 14 tracks  = 48000 * 4 * 14 = 2.6 mB/s, So raw speed is not a problem.
> One of the latest fixes in ardour is that the drive buffering can be
> adjusted in your .ardour/ardour.rc
>
>   <Option name="track-buffer-seconds" value="3.000000"/>

What value would you recommend?  Does it depend on the physical size of
the buffer in my drive?  I have an 8 MB buffer.