[ardour-users] MIDI control surface help

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Feb 14 13:45:10 PST 2005

Rob Fell wrote on Mon, 14-Feb-2005:

 >  > Another option is to try the alsa seq port, by substituting
 > > seq for hw:0 in the <Option name="midi-port" ...> tag.  This is
 > > the case where you would then use qjackctl (or other) to patch
 > > your hw midi port to ardour's.
 >
 > Can you give me a slightly bigger knock with the clue stick please?  Is
 > a separate app required, or is this an ALSA module?

You should see a line in your ardour.rc like the following:

  <MIDI-port tag="seq" device="ardour" type="alsa/sequencer" mode="duplex"/>

Assuming you have the alsa 'snd-seq' module loaded (which you probably
do), you can use this port as your midi-port for ardour, which
allows you to connect it using a midi patchbay.

jlc