[ardour-users] MIDI control surface help

Rob Fell robin.fell at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 14 12:20:29 PST 2005

Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Rob Fell wrote on Mon, 14-Feb-2005:
<snip>
>  > I've edited my ardour.rc to include <MIDI-port tag="hw:0"
>  > device="/dev/snd/midiC0D0" type="alsa/raw" mode="duplex"/> but still it
>  > does not work :(
>
> Can you post any error messages you get from the terminal?

Initially I was getting;

Ardour/GTK 0.529.3 running with libardour 0.827.4
ardour: [ERROR]: MIDI: no such port device

Which seemed rather odd given;

bash-2.05b$ find /dev/snd/
/dev/snd/
/dev/snd/controlC0
/dev/snd/timer
/dev/snd/seq
/dev/snd/midiC0D0
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c

 > Also, make sure
> that the <Option name="midi-port" value="hw:0"> has the correct
> value.

See above - this looks correct.

I did notice however that there was a hw:1 definition too - so I deleted
it.  After running Ardour, the hw:1 definition comes back with incorrect
(for my system) values.

Setting the hw:1 definition to be identical (save the tag) to hw:0, the
error message disappears, but still no sign on controller binding.

 > Another option is to try the alsa seq port, by substituting
> seq for hw:0 in the <Option name="midi-port" ...> tag.  This is
> the case where you would then use qjackctl (or other) to patch
> your hw midi port to ardour's.

Can you give me a slightly bigger knock with the clue stick please?  Is
a separate app required, or is this an ALSA module?

thanks
Rob