[ardour-users] MIDI control surface help

Rob Fell robin.fell at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 14 11:26:37 PST 2005

Hi people

I'm trying to determine the protocols (i.e. MIDI CC messages) used for
control surfaces with Ardour (I'm investigating building my own control
surface).

For this experiment I'm using my old Atari as a MIDI source (sending
MIDI CC messages), but I'm having trouble binding them in Ardour.

Using

	amidi -p hw:0 -d

I can see the messages I expect to receive from the Atari.

I've edited my ardour.rc to include <MIDI-port tag="hw:0"
device="/dev/snd/midiC0D0" type="alsa/raw" mode="duplex"/> but still it
does not work :(

Apologies for being a MIDI dunce here, but can anyone point me in the
correct direction to make this work? Should I connect MIDI source/sink
in QJackctl?  If so, which ones?  Are there any special settings I
should select in Ardour::preferences?

Currently using Ardour beta-19, delta-1010, and QJackctl (yes - it's a
rather old Ardour, but I'm not in a position to change to the shiny new
one right now).

Any hints/clues greatly appreciated.

Thanks