[ardour-users] Survey - what sound card/interface are you using with Ardour?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Dec 31 12:01:49 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 12:29 -0600, Christopher wrote:
> This is just to help me in making my decision as to what interface to
> use in my recording setup, which is currently comprised of Fedora Core
> 3 and Ardour and a crappy old sound card.
>
> What interface(s)/sound card are you using?  I know alot of it depends
> on the amount of channels you need, so this is mainly for the people
> using smaller setups for home studio recording or small projects.
>
> Of course, I'd like the most bang for my buck, but currently I really
> only need maybe 4 or 8 channels of A/D conversion.  But my biggest
> concern is driver support.  I know RME has a good record of putting
> out linux drivers, but are there any other companies that do the same,
> even for more sophisticated cards?
>
> So, I guess one of my questions is, would it be better to have an
> external converter and use an interface card, or a dedicated card that
> does the A/D conversion?

    I've got an ST Audio DSP 2000 C-Port.  These are no longer
manufactured but you can find used ones.  It is basically the equivalent
of the M-Audio Delta 1010.  It uses the envy24 chipset which is
extremely well supported in Linux.  M-Audio makes a number of interfaces
based on this chipset.  My recommendation would be to get a Delta 1010
(I prefer the outboard ADC/DAC) or, if you want to spend a bit less, the
Delta 1010LT.  With the Delta 1010LT you give up balanced I/O and
external conversion.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744