[ardour-users] Ardour & BCF2000 USB control surface

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Sun Dec 25 07:11:12 PST 2005

Hello all--

I recently bought a Behringer BCF2000 USB control surface. It works well
with Ardour, with one small problem that I can see--

I use Ardour on an DeMuDi/Debian system (I upgraded DeMuDi 1.2.1 to
1.3.0 using the program demudi-upgrade, which was installed by the
DeMuDi package). In addition, I have installed several packages from
a Debian "etch" (testing) repository.

If I plug the BCF2000 into a USB port on the computer I can see it in
qjackctl, whether I plug the BCF2000 into the computer before or after I
launch qjackctl and start jackd.

However, if I then launch Ardour and try to connect the BCF2000's
midi-via-usb output to Ardour in qjackctl's "Connect" window, a
graphical line representing the connection between the two appears very
briefly, then disappears. I can't seem to connect the BCF2000 to Ardour.

But, if I quit Ardour, then turn the power off on the BCF2000 (or pull
its USB plug from the computer), then launch Ardour and *then*
plug-in/power-up the BCF2000, in reverse order (Ardour *before* the
BCF2000), both Ardour and the BCF2000 appear in qjackctl's Connect pane
and can be connected.

So, powering-up and attaching the BCF2000 before launching Ardour does
not seem to work (Ardour is unresponsive to the control-button2click
MIDI controller assignment, and qjackctl refuses to allow the
connection), but launching Ardour first, and then turning on and
plugging in the BCF2000 seems to work fine.

I just thought I would send this information to the list, for the
archives in case others experience the same problem.

-sd