[ardour-users] [Fwd: Re: Is 64 bit dual core supported and stable yet?]

Sat Dec 3 13:56:34 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 22:17 -0500, George Chan wrote:
> I was just about to go out and buy a dual core AMD processor &
> motherboard, but after reading this email (see below), I'm going to go
> with a dual CPU single core Opteron with an ASUS K8N-DL motherboard.
> Tyan motherboards are nice, buy way too expensive for me.
>
> You may find this link helpful:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20051107/index.html
>
> If future dual core AMD CPUs remain in a 940 pin configuration, I can
> always upgrade to a Dual CPU Dual Core system.  That may not happen
> though.  I recently read that the next generation of Dual Core AMD CPUs
> will have a different pin configuration.
>
> If there was no design fault in AMD's dual core offerings, I would like
> to have gone with a Dual CPU Dual Core setup.... buying a dual cpu
> motherboard with one dual core cpu to start with, then adding a second
> cpu when I had some extra cash.
>
> Hope this is helpful.

Interesting link....

There are other considerations for audio machines that may be important
(or not), like for example cooling needs and the associated fans.

Obviously going with the latest generation of processors is not the best
cost/performance tradeoff :-) I don't have a link right now but I read
an interesting article not long ago on precisely that and I think
something like an Athlon 3000+ had one of the best cost/performance
ratios.

-- Fernando