[ardour-users] [Fwd: Re: Is 64 bit dual core supported and stable yet?]

Joel White cv223 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 3 07:49:25 PST 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 11:20 -0500, George Chan wrote:
>

>>I finally decided on what system to build, that included a dual core
>>Athlon.
>>
>>Then I received this email.
>>
>>So, I guess, that for now, it would be better to have a Dual CPU Single
>>Core Opteron system?
>>
>>What do you think?
>>

>The latest patch for realtime preemption from Ingo Molnar does not use
>the TSC for internal timing in the kernel in the case of the dual core
>Athlon X2 cpus (2.6.14-rt12). So the kernel problems do not happen (in
>my case I experienced sporadic key repeat problems and random temporary
>activations of the screensaver).
>
>A patch is needed for Jack so that it does not use the TSC for timing
>with those cpus, some stuff has been posted to the jackit-devel list but
>no definite patch is yet on CVS.

I am currently running stock 2.6.14 with the 3800+ X2 (that's me,
below).  If I set the smp_affinity of my sound card to one processor,
the "delay of xx usecs exceeds.." messages virtually disappear.  Without
that, they pop up regularly, with increasing delay times.

As a test, I just got through recording 55+ min of 8 tracks (-r 44100 -p
64 -n 2, duplex) before ardour halted with an xrun and "delay.." error.
Is it likely that this is still due to the problems mentioned above and
in the jackit-devel list?  I don't see any other reason for this
particular xrun/delay (I wasn't doing anything to stress the system).
Any ideas would be appreciated.  (I tried running with acpi=off, as well
as building the kernel without power management as Paul suggested to me,
but the system hung up, so I'm back to acpi).

Thanks,

Joel