[ardour-users] [Fwd: Re: Is 64 bit dual core supported and stable yet?]

Fri Dec 2 17:53:50 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 11:20 -0500, George Chan wrote:
> I finally decided on what system to build, that included a dual core
> Athlon.
>
> Then I received this email.
>
> So, I guess, that for now, it would be better to have a Dual CPU Single
> Core Opteron system?
>
> What do you think?

The latest patch for realtime preemption from Ingo Molnar does not use
the TSC for internal timing in the kernel in the case of the dual core
Athlon X2 cpus (2.6.14-rt12). So the kernel problems do not happen (in
my case I experienced sporadic key repeat problems and random temporary
activations of the screensaver).

A patch is needed for Jack so that it does not use the TSC for timing
with those cpus, some stuff has been posted to the jackit-devel list but
no definite patch is yet on CVS.

So things are getting there...
-- Fernando