[ardour-users] Ardour needs a forum

Andrew & Taya Johnston andyandtaya at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 21:13:34 PDT 2005

I find both forums and mailing lists useful. One thing that worries me about
a mailing list is when things get off topic and there are discussions
forming about a less important issue, while someone who is struggling
setting up ardour gets ignored. The other annoying thing is when people are
constantly asking questions that have been answered because they are new to
the mailing list, however on a forum the question they have could be seen
quite easily as a topic in an existing thread. Obviously Paul can't be
helping developing ardour and be actively involved in both forums and
mailing list, and I support his decision. However forums are often picked up
by google searches whereas mailing lists are not, so it would be good for
advertising. When I used to run a forum we put a RSS feeder in and that
solved the problem someone mentioned earlier of having to use your browser
and go and check for new posts...just click your feed! Sometimes I would
like to ask people non-directly related ardour questions (ie music
production or CCRMA help etc etc), but I refrain because I don't think the
mailing list the appropriate place to do that.

My two cents...

Andy J

P.S. James Rich...try the RSS Feed suggestion...it really works!