[ardour-users] pan automation

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Aug 9 15:24:01 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 18:16 -0400, Brett McCoy wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > I believe it means that you cannot automate panning for a stereo
> > track. You can, however, automate it for a mono track.
> >
> > IIRC I filed a bug report/enhancement request for this quite some time
> > ago. I should go look that up... ;-)
>
> I thought the opposite was the case, panning was only allowed for stereo
> and not for mono...

the terms are ambiguous when talking about pro-audio.

you have to distinguish between outputs and inputs, and potentially
signal streams.

a mono-input track can have two outputs, and its signal stream can be
panned across them. it can have N outputs, and have its signal panned
around them.

a stereo-input track can have 1 output (no panning), 2 outputs (each
input can be panned across the 2 outputs independently) or N outputs
(each input can be panned around them).

plugins/inserts can cause a mono-input track to have more than 1 active
signal stream by the time the signal reaches the panner, in which case
it will end up behaving like a stereo input track (if it ended up with 2
signal streams, for example).

--p