[ardour-users] Refugee from Windoze/Cubase -drowning in Linux/Ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Apr 18 12:37:31 PDT 2005

>[ks at S01060050da7307e1 ~]$ jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 44100

no "-r" to specify the rate.

>ALSA/ICE1712: (0) cannot set input monitoring (No such file or
>directory)

you appear to have somehow asked for h/w input monitoring, which
appears to be broken with the combination of ALSA and JACK that you
have. i don't know if you meant to ask for, but don't.

>ardour: [ERROR]: MIDI: no such port device

no problem, except that it means your ~/.ardour/ardour.rc defines a
MIDI port that does not exist. See http://ardour.org/manual/intro:midi
(incomplete but useful)

>ardour: [WARNING]: Your system generates "Mod2" when the NumLock key is
>pressed. This can cause problems when editing so Ardour will use Mod3 to
>mean Meta rather than Mod2

not an error, just a warning.

>Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkpixmap.c: line 63 (gdk_pixmap_new): assertion `
>(width != 0) && (height != 0)' failed.

you are using an older version of Ardour that uses fonts which are not
properly configured in Fedora Core 3. The latest version (0.9beta29,
as of last night) has switched fonts to avoid this error.

>cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)

you appear to have "jackstart" defined in a startup file. this command
should not be used on FC3 or any 2.6-kernel based system. try removing
~/.jackdrc and see if that helps. this may be hanging around from a
2.4-based setup.

>the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
>application using it and run JACK again

use
	fuser /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

to find out what program is using your audio interface and kill
it. you might be running esd, for example. if you are going to do
pro-audio/music work on this system, go into "System Settings"->Server
Settings and shutdown esd permanently.

>And having just now started Ardour from the Gnome menu without logging
>out or rebooting after the errors just above Jack can't find ardour
>audio ports, although I'm sure it would with a fresh boot. Stopping and
>starting Jack at this point doesn't help.

shutting down JACK while ardour is running and then restarting JACK
will never result in JACK finding the old ardour. Ardour can reconnect
to the new JACK however (its an asymmetric relationship).