[ardour-users] OT - 2.6.11 kernels for audio

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:31:20 PDT 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 3:32 PM, Rob Fell <robin.fell at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> >    OK, I've got Gentoo's ck-sources-2.6.11-ck4 kernel up and running
> > with realtime-lsm installed. Jack is up and going. No major work yet,
> > but I'm running at 16/2 as a normal user so that seems to be a good
> > start I think:
> >
> > creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|16|2|44100|2|2|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> > control device hw:0
> > configuring for 44100Hz, period = 16 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> > 15:06:00.425 Server configuration saved to "/home/mark/.jackdrc".
> > 15:06:00.426 Statistics reset.
> > 15:06:00.431 Client activated.
> > 15:06:00.432 Audio connection change.
> > 15:06:00.434 Audio connection graph change.
>
> Nice.  I might be tempted to upgrade my kernel this weekend :)

I did this on my laptop since I needed a new kernel there for
video4linux testing, but it looks good enough that I am going to drag
the ck-sources kernel sources over to my Planet box and see how it
runs with my HDSP 9652. Should be fun to compare against Fernando's
newest PlanetEdge kernel when he's ready to release.

I should have mentioned that the previous method of loading realtime
doesn't seem to be working automatically. I seem to have to su to root
and modprobe it by hand. That's probably some oversight on my part and
most likely will get fixed pretty soon.

Cheers,
Mark