[ardour-users] OT - 2.6.11 kernels for audio

Mon Apr 11 14:05:51 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 13:21, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Thanks Fernando. I found that a few minutes ago. Good to know at least
> I'm Googling out the right stuff.
>
> Can you tell me what set of patches you deem necessary to make a good
> audio kernel these days? Last October there were 4 patches that I
> applied. I've forgotten what they all do:
>
> 1) I started with 2.6.8 from kernel.org I believe
> 2) Added 2.6.9_rc2 which I think got 2.6.8 up to 2.6.9_rc2.
> 3) I added 2.6.9-rc2-mm4 - I don't know what that is.
> 4) I then added VP-2.6.9-rc2-mm4-S7. I think that was Ingo's patch
> 5) Lastly I added the LSM patch - realtime-lsm-2.6.8.1 which I guess
> gives me access to all of this as a user, correct?
>
> What part of those is still required? All? Has anythign made it into
> the kernel proper these days?

A lot has made it into the plain kernel, so you have two choices:
a) use plain 2.6.x where x >= 2.6.10
   more stable, decent latency
b) use plain 2.6.x + Ingo's patches
   current latest would be:
     2.6.11 (plain) +
     patch-2.6.12-rc2.bz2 +
     realtime-preempt-2.6.12-rc2-RT-V0.7.45-01
   better latency, perhaps not so stable (have not tried this particular
   combination yet - still compiling :-)

You also need realtime-lsm on top of either to run stuff as non-root
-- Fernando